I have taken an interest in the lawsuit against Dale Askey. Mr Askey is an academic librarian. In his blog, he discussed predatory publishers that take advantage of the open-access publishing framework, which taints the framework for quality open-access publishers. Mr Askey named one of the publishers from a list of predatory publishers. This publisher is now suing Mr Askey for over $4 million dollars. This lawsuit threatens to inhibit academic freedom and the historic function of librarians providing quality and non-biased evaluation of resources.
Following the Dale Askey Lawsuit
- Dale Askey’s blog, Bibliobrary (the ‘offending’ post was removed)
- Story describing lawsuit and response
- Update on lawsuit: lawsuit against Askey and University dropped, but second lawsuit against Askey alone continues
- Online comment (see comment 11) about chilling effect to librarian’s evaluator role
- Beall’s list of predatory publishers
- Librarian support of Askey, article from Chronicle of Higher Education